Sunday, September 04, 2005

Faith and Katrina

My Sunday School class has been discussing faith the last several weeks. The text we've been using is Hebrews 11. This chapter is called by some (maybe just me) the "By Faith" chapter. The author gives examples from the Old Testament of faith in action. From Moses to Abraham to the prostitute Rahab.

Several things have occurred to me through these studies that also seem to apply to what's happening on the Gulf Coast. Whenever something like Katrina happens it's a test of one's faith. "How could a loving God do this?".

I don't know.

As Americans, we like to have the answers to everything. When we don't have answers we get edgy. I'll admit that I don't always like not understanding God's plan. But if we always knew what was coming, if we always understood the plan, what need would there be for faith?

When Moses committed to leading God's people out of Egypt, he knew the end result would be freedom. He had no idea how he was going to get from where he was to that result. And he had no idea what they would do after they were free. Moses still did as God commanded and the rest is biblical history.

Getting back to Katrina (why are these things always named after women anyway). I don't know why God chose to allow this devastation to happen. I don't know why he didn't send a burning bush to warn people to get out. I don't know if the warnings broadcast by local authorities were intended to be that burning bush. I only know two things.

1. Katrina killed a lot of people
2.I serve a loving, faithful, sovreign God.

How do I know that, given what happened on the Gulf Coast? Simple. God told me so, and through Faith I believe it. I've seen so much of God's will come to fruition both in the pages of his word and in my own life that I must believe that he is at work here as well.

My heart breaks for the people who lived in the affected locations. I fight back tears everytime I see images or read stories about the utter despair that prevails in New Orleans.

But I know that God is at work there. His mercy will be evident in the days that follow, and his love will be evident in the lives of his people who are pouring out their compassion in any way that God directs them.

I welcome any responses either through email or the comments section below.

Heb 11:6 and without faith it is impossible to be well-pleasing unto him; for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that seek after him.


Also, if you'd like to give to the cause of Hurricane Relief but haven't found an organization that you are comfortable with, below is a link and a physical address for the EFCA (Evangelical Free Church of America) 's hurricane relief effort. Give them a look and if you feel like it's the right vehicle for your money, please contribute.

https://fusion.efca.org/giving/?designation=Hurricane%20Katrina%20Assistance%2021709-3967


> > > > Or by mail:> > > > EFCA> > Attn: Hurricane Katrina Assistance, Account> > #21709-3967> > 901 East 78th Street> > Minneapolis, MN 55420-1300

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home